MDA Neuromuscular Clinic
The MDA Neuromuscular Clinic is designed for children with neuromuscular disorders and their families.
Clinics are held every second Wednesday afternoon in the Children’s Neuroscience Centre, Royal Children’s Hospital, Parkville.
This is a multidisciplinary clinic which brings together relevant medical specialties, allied health therapists and other health professionals. The team will review progress and make recommendations regarding the management of your child. We aim to work directly with your child and your family at the clinic, and are available as a resource for your family, your local doctor, community therapists, teachers and other clinicians who are involved in you child’s care.
The clinic team includes:
- Genetic Counseling
- Occupational Therapy
- Social Work
- Nurse Coordinator
- MDA Staff Support
Why come to clinic?
It is important to attend the clinic as scheduled, even if everything seems to be going well and you don’t have any concerns.
Attending clinic regularly will ensure:
- Your child’s overall physical function, pulmonary function, muscle strength and bone health are monitored
- A regular review of medical management
- Any side effects of treatment are assessed and monitored
- You and your child receive up-to-date information and support for your family
- Ongoing documentation of your child’s condition and progress, that can be communicated with others involved in your child’s care
- Planning for current and future issues e.g. surgery, equipment, preparation for schooling, transition to adult services
Preparing for clinic
Prior to your clinic appointment, you will receive a letter that includes information about:
- The date and time of your next appointment
- The doctors and other health professionals you and your child will be seeing
- The tests your child will have
- Feedback form
Please ensure you bring along any relevant referrals and your Medicare card.
It is important to plan your day appropriately when coming into clinic. Because you and your child will be seeing a number of people, you may need to spend a few hours in the hospital. Please feel free to bring snacks and entertainment for your child.
If you have any comments, questions or feedback about the MDA Neuromuscular Clinic:-
please contact:- Dani Villano MDA Neuromuscular Clinical Nurse Coordinator (03) 9345 4633 or email@example.com
If you would like to meet with staff from the MDA during the course of your visti to the MDA neuromuscular Clinic click on the link button below.
- provide additional information on the disorder
- various services available
- link you in with the Support & Information Groups conducted by the MDA
- provide access to MDA’s Recreation & Respite programs
- work with you and your child’s school; and
- much more…